This evening, I saw placards in the hands of kids instead of crackers. The messages were ‘Save Earth’, ‘Say No to Crackers’ and the like.
Disappointing, very disappointing!
At this rate, the only childhood memory that kids will have is spending time on their screens, phones & tablets! When they reminisce about childhood after growing up, what will they talk about – Tablets, phones and apps?
Not fair – we, the grown-ups have ruined the Earth for them and we expect them to take the so called ‘corrective steps’.
- Will all of us stop using our cars?
- Will we stop using leather, plastics, CFCs?
- Will be cease our ubiquitous constructions and create more playgrounds?
- Will we spend more time with loved ones?
- Will we reduce our air travel to create less of a carbon footprint?
- Will be reduce tuitions and ‘special’ classes?
- Will we allow every kid to pursue their real interests?
- Will we stop consuming or working for these global brands that are polluting our ground waters
Just one day in the year when we get to burst crackers, and it is a no-no citing ‘Saving the Earth’! What about the torture reaped on Mother Earth on the other 364 days?
Already ‘Mithai’ has been replaced by ‘Chocolates’, ‘Motherly Love’ by so called ‘Aaya’s Love’, ‘Lighting Lamps’ replaced by ‘Switching on bulbs and candles’, ‘Rituals’ replaced by ‘Lethargy’.
So, what is left to take away from them? What experiences are we leaving for our kids? We are literally snatching ‘The Essence of Childhood’ from them!
Like an array of lamps creating a beautiful image, let us create a string of wonderful memories for our kids that would make for a great life! 🙂
Celebrate Festivals, Celebrate Life & Create Memories!!